Tuesday, January 3, 2012

the beginning of transformation



About 3 weeks ago when I was still in the States, I was talking to Luis on Skype one night for about an hour. He told me that morning his dad had showed up at his house--Luis lives with his abuela and his dad lives in another city (for more info on his family situation, read I'm going to be a mom!!). He was sobbing as he told me his dad wanted him to quit school to come and work for him sanding and painting cars. Luis told him he wants to stay in school and graduate. His dad also told him that he couldn't return to the property. They got in a fight and Luis walked out, telling his dad he was going to church. Well, he went to church but then he took a bus out to the property without telling his dad. 

I had to have a serious conversation with him that night, telling him that God calls us to obey and respect our parents. I selfishly wanted to tell him to stay at the property where I knew he would receive 3 meals a day and be in a Christian environment, instead of going to his dad's where he may not eat and he may be beaten for leaving that day. But we both knew what was right, and he reluctantly agreed to leave the next day. I had no idea when I would be able to see or talk to him again. And as hard as it was to tell him that he needed to return home the next morning, I continued to pray and trust God with his precious life. This was the beginning of a transformation in his relationship with his dad.

[New Years Eve]

Luis has now been working with his dad for 3 weeks, and when I asked him how it's going, he said it's going well and he's been learning a lot. His dad now wants Luis to attend a technical high school, where he will learn a trade such as painting cars or installing electricity, plumbing, etc. His dad also invited me to spend New Years Eve with his family! I wasn't able to go, but he allowed Luis to come back after work and spend the night with us at the property! This is a HUGE step! Their relationship has never been good, but now they are beginning to build trust. 
---------------
Please continue to pray for their relationship, and for my role in Luis' life and family. Pray that they will see the love of Christ through Luis, and that the transformation in his life would be evident. Even if my role here is just to bring this one family to know Christ, it will be enough. Because Christ is more than enough.

1 comment:

  1. Love you Cassie..and i love your heart for this little boy..becoming a man...

    ReplyDelete