Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I'm learning...

Learning how to live with brothers.
[Carlos, Herman, & Fernando]

I grew up with two sisters and, well, girls just deal with things differently than boys do. Not to mention the cultural differences here. I have lived so much of my life to please others and keep the peace. However, I'm learning that it's often better to confront tough situations even if it is difficult at the time. In the end, the relationships are strengthened and a deeper level of love and trust are built.

[Rony & Ariel]

 Learning how to lead others into a deeper relationship with Christ. 
[Thursday morning Bible study]

The last month on the World Race in India, God asked me to start a Bible study with the girls in the community as a part of the church plant we were doing. I was scared and had no idea what I was doing, but I knew it was God's plan, and that He would be with me! I have attended many Bible studies in the past, but have never been a leader before. God sure knew what He was doing--calling me to grow in the area of leadership as part of His plan for me in Honduras was to come back and start Bible studies with the girls here.

[Saturday night Bible study]

 Learning how to be a mom through the good...and the hard times.
[with my boy]

Being a mom is awesome and rewarding, but it is also difficult and trying at times. God has given me a love for Luis like I have never loved anyone else. The more of his story I hear and see and experience, the deeper and more love I feel for him. He is only 14 years old and he has already experienced so much pain and hurt from the ones who should love him most. The hardest part for me is finding a balance because I want to give him the whole world, but I also want to teach him responsibility and respect.

[bike problems]

Learning how to cook many new things...and sometimes failing.
[failed attempt at cutting tomatoes]

Tony and Nidia have been so patient with me in the kitchen. I used to be the pickiest eater and only knew how to cook the few things that I liked to eat. (Think 5-year old diet--mac n cheese, PB&J, spaghetti, etc.) Last year on the World Race, I'm convinced that God began radically changing my taste buds. Now, I eat just about anything that is put in front of me! Tony and Nidia are teaching me how to cook--which is quite the task--but I'm learning!!

[the right way to slice tomatoes]

 Learning to love others even when it is difficult.
[Luis with his mom and cousin]

This past week, I have started spending more time with Nicole at her house. For those of you who don't know, Nicole's mom is also Luis & Fanny's mom. She lives right down the hill from them but never makes the effort to see them because she does not claim them as her children. Luis went there with me the other day there and he said something to his mom jokingly and she smacked him across the face. I know she was somewhat joking but it hurt me so much to see that, because I have seen it in the past when she wasn't joking. It is DIFFICULT for me to love this woman. But God is teaching me how to extend love and grace to people who don't deserve it, because I definitely don't deserve it.
--------------------
Please pray that God will continue to open up my heart to the things He is trying to teach me. That I will be obedient to listen to His voice. That I will continue to learn more about His heart  for me and for the people we are ministering to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment