Sunday, November 6, 2011

Herman: becoming a leader.


If you haven't already, please read Herman's story.
Quick re-cap:
About three months ago, Herman made the decision to get on the bus at 5:30am six days a week to go work on the new property instead of continuing his life on the streets. He came knowing he would not get paid for his labor. It was completely his choice. After about 3 weeks of seeing Herman show up and work hard for 8 hours/day, his commitment and work ethic paid off. He is now getting paid $5/day four days a week to work at the property. He is also taking English and computer classes. 
A year from now, his life will be RADICALLY different in many ways!!
[Cristofer, Herman, & Luis]

A few weeks ago, after much thought and prayer, Tony and Nidia invited Herman to live with them so that he wouldn't have to ride the bus out to the property every day to work. Herman agreed and has been doing GREAT! I talked to him a couple of weekends ago and he told me that his friends had invited him to a party with drugs and other bad things. He turned them down. For the first time ever. I am so proud of my brother!! 
That is a huge step for him! 

A few days ago, Herman asked me when I was coming back to Honduras and told me he was praying for me! (Let me remind you--he told me 2 months ago that he wasn't ready to give his life to the Lord, but he enjoyed going to church and discipleship class.) I really had a feeling that the Lord was going to use this to draw Herman into a relationship with Him. 
"Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our 'God is a consuming fire.'" --Hebrews 12:28-29

This past week, Herman lost a good friend. Jimmi was killed as he was attempting to rob someone on the streets of Los Pinos. A month ago, Herman may have been with him. Now, his life is RADICALLY different! God is transforming his heart and his life! 

[Today, Tony and the group chose to fast for lunch and use the money to prepare a special meal for Jimmi's family. They also gave the family a photo album with pictures and memories of Jimmi, since they do not have a single picture from his life.]

I have been able to talk to Herman on Skype a few times this week and he is always smiling and laughing about something! When I asked how he is doing with the death of his friend, he said he's fine, but I know he is still hurting on the inside. I have been praying that God will use Jimmi's death to bring LIFE to others in the community. That the Lord would raise up Herman as a leader and use him as an example to others who continue to daily choose street life. Well, God is beginning to answer my prayers!

[Herman & Ariel, photo by Natii]

Today, Herman stood up in front of the church and gave his testimony!!
This is what Tony says about Herman:

"His testimony is FRESH as it is not a story from the past but of the present. This young man everyday makes the decision to be away from paint thinner and other drugs. Every day he makes the decision to hang out with his new Christian friends and no longer with gang members. Yesterday he said with a smile, 'I am growing so much in my faith!'" 


[Herman sharing his testimony at church, photo from Ashley]

I truly believe God is going to use Herman to call his friends into the abundant life and love of Christ. Please continue to pray for Herman as he begins this new life of faith and begins to step into leadership! Pray that he will continue to be bold and confident in sharing his faith with friends, family, and others!!

1 comment:

  1. I freaking love that kid. I refer to him as my brother. And its because of people like him that I don't need faith to know that God is good.

    ReplyDelete